Controlling Blood Pressure
Jackson Health System has resumed normal operations at a majority of its facilities.
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care at Cutler Bay is now open
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care center at Keystone Point is now open
The UHealth Jackson Urgent Care center at Country Walk is now open
The Jefferson Reaves remain closed due to power outages.
To reschedule an appointment, please call 305-585-6000. Updated information for UHealth Jackson Urgent Care centers is available at JacksonUrgentCare.com.
High blood pressure is 140/90 or higher. Know your blood pressure and remember to check it regularly. Doing so can save your life. Here are some things you can do to help control your blood pressure.
Choose Heart-Healthy Foods
- Eat 8 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Eat 2 to 3 servings of low-fat or fat-free dairy products
- Choose lean meats, fish, or chicken.
- Eat whole-grain pasta, brown rice, and beans.
- Limit canned, dried, cured, packaged, and fast foods. These can contain a lot of salt.
Maintain A Healthy Weight
- Ask your health care provider what weight range is healthiest for you. If you are overweight, a weight loss of only 3% to 5% of your body weight can help lower blood pressure.
- Ask your health care provider how many calories to eat a day. Then try to stick to that number.
Get Up And Get Active
- Be active at a moderate to vigorous level of physical activity for at least 40 minutes for a minimum of 3 to 4 days a week. Choose activities you enjoy or find ones you can do with friends or family.
- Park farther away from building entrances.
- Use stairs instead of the elevator. When you can, walk or bike instead of driving.
- Make time to relax and enjoy life.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Talk with your health care provider about quitting smoking.
To make an appointment with a Jackson phsyician, please call 305-585-4JMG.
For more heart health articles during our Heart Month series, click here.
To read our Hearts of Jackson patient stories, click here.
MIRACLES MADE DAILY
Here at Jackson Health System, Miracles are made Daily! We would like to share some of those stories through our Community Blog. We invite you to read, share and comment on our stories so we can build a healthy more well-informed community, together!
CONNECT WITH US
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Get the lastest news, events, patient stories, service line info, health wellness & more.SIGN UP