Tropical Storm Erika Update
Jackson Health System is open for business and operating as usual.
The Holtz Children's Hospital Palliative Care Team is a group of multidisciplinary personnel lead by a dedicated attending physician. Palliative care services are focused upon caring for the patient's and family's body, mind and spirit. Our Team pledges to ensure consistency in providing optimal resource utilization and will assist the primary medical/surgical team as needed. The Team strives to provide a continuum of care from the hospital to community.
- Communication with Patients/Family Members
- Pain and Symptom Management
- Psychological Effects of Illness
- Decision Making
- Social Needs
- Spiritual Needs
- Anticipatory Planning/Advanced Directives
- Connections to Home and Community Resources
- Educational Opportunities for Staff
- Provision of Care for the Caregivers
The PediPals team strives to provide the highest level of care for both your child and your family. Our palliative care team works with the entire family to educate, support, and comfort throughout the disease process with age- and disease-specific activities and resources. Every child who passes through Holtz Children’s has a continuous caring relationship with our team, with access to a system-wide physician network. PediPals is one of our many family-centered resources available for our patients and families at Holtz Children’s.
Who can participate in the PediPals program?
- Young patients with complex illnesses that can benefit from enhanced communication and coordination of healthcare providers
- Patients facing a shortened life expectancy
- Families in need of additional support and resources, including home-based services
- Patients who require expert pain and/or symptom management, especially when treatment methods are no longer effective or become burdensome
- Patients experiencing frequent hospital stays or a worsening condition
Do I need to change my doctor?
There is no need to change your doctor or medical team. The PediPals team works directly with your primary care doctor to ensure continuity of care and communication.
Can I combine other treatments with palliative care?
Absolutely – your treatment choices are up to you. Patients can get palliative care at the same time as other prescribed treatments.
How much does the program cost?
The PediPals program is a complimentary service offered to patients treated at Holtz Children’s. Most insurance plans cover services offered by our PediPals team. In addition, many PediPals services are supported by charitable donations.
How can I sign up for the program?
Your primary healthcare provider can request a referral to the PediPals program by calling 305-585-6784.
When is this service available?
The PediPals team is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 305-585-6784. After hours, team members can be reached at 305-277-2888.
For information on Pediatric Palliative Care, please contact:
- Jackson Memorial Hospital Telecommunications: 305-585-5400
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU): 305-585-5687